The Naughty Vegan: An attempt to go Raw
by The Luvely Rae
As a dancer keeping your body in good shape is essential. We use our bodies to create works of our art and generate income from the sale of that art. Every so often I like to look at my eating habits and ask myself, “Is there room for improvement”. I may be vegan but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m health. Let’s take a quick look:
- I can go a whole day with only 1 glass of water (instead of the supermodel 8 glasses).
- If I have 1 fruit a day that’s good (much easier during warm weather).
- I don’t eat from chain fast food restaurants like McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, etc. (not that hard when you are vegan)
- My french fry consumption has dramatically decreased to only once every 3 or 4 months (since I stopped drinking there is less time to spend in pubs eating fries).
- We’ve stopped storing potato chips in the house and instead keep roasted peanuts (sadly I can eat a lot of peanuts)
- My Pasta consumption has dramatically decreased to only once every other week
- My Rice consumption has dramatically decreased, maybe 1 or 2 times a week
- I’m really into making homemade fried rice right now (hmm, salt and oil)
- I love bread. I repeat. I LOVE Bread.
Okay, so I’d say there’s some room for improvement. I will note that I am currently really happy with my body. I could be more flexible, but I can actually feel my abdominal muscles and my skin is free from breakouts.
So for 1 week I tried going for Raw Vegan. The results? Epic fail.
Let’s take a quick look at what I learned:
- I have zero interest in food dehydrators, magic bullet blenders, and other fancy gadgets (when you are hungry this shit is just too slow).
- I will eat 3 times as much as I normally would just to feel full.
- I like my vegetables cooked.
- I’m really grumpy when I’m hungry.
- Raw food deserts get a thumbs up in my house (fig and almond bar with dried cranberries).
- I freaking like pasta and rice and there is nothing wrong with that.
- Financially, going Raw is not something that made sense for me. I can not live off 50 bananas a day and getting the right foods gets costly.
So I failed at going Raw, but I will still happily eat at Pure food and Wine if someone else is paying. So who’s buying?